Master Executive Council (MEC)
- As preparations for contract negotiations continue, our MEC is seeking candidates for the position of MEC Mobilization Committee Chairperson.
- The Mobilization Committee works to provide support to the Negotiating Committee through coordinated solidarity activity and two-way communication between the membership and the committee. The MEC Mobilization Committee Chairperson is responsible for coordinating the activities of the Mobilization Committee across all six bases.
- Interviews will be held during the April Regular MEC Meeting on April 13, 2022. Interested candidates should complete the online expression of interest form and submit a resume by Tuesday, April 5 at 5 PM Pacific time.
With the upcoming start of contract negotiations, the Master Executive Council (MEC) is seeking a Member in good standing to fill the position of MEC Mobilization Committee Chairperson.
The MEC Chairperson of the Mobilization Committee is responsible for leading the committee’s effort to provide support to the Negotiating Committee through coordinated solidarity activity and two-way communication between the membership and the committee.
Additional Information from the MEC Policy Manual
a. This committee is only active during the negotiations process. It shall be called to service by the MEC upon the selection of a Negotiating Committee and will be disbanded by the MEC upon the achievement of a tentative agreement approved by the membership.
b. This committee exists as a conduit to facilitate two-way communication from the membership to the MEC and Negotiating Committee where applicable and back through the membership.
c. The MEC President is responsible for providing necessary and topical information to the MEC Mobilization Committee Chairperson.
d. The MEC Mobilization Committee Chairperson will be responsible for the successful transfer of that information to the membership and reporting back how established goals are being met to the MEC President.
a. The MEC Mobilization Committee shall consist of the MEC Mobilization Committee Chairperson and the Local Mobilization Committee Chairperson from each council.
b. Committee Chairs must complete mobilization training and agree to the mobilization protocol prior to being actively appointed to the committee.
c. Local Mobilization Volunteers must agree to the mobilization protocol prior to being assigned to a volunteer role. It is recommended that Mobilization Volunteers complete mobilization training prior to participating in volunteer assignments.
d. Local Mobilization Volunteers are not considered to be Committee Members.
e. The Local Committee Chairperson is the liaison between Local Mobilization Volunteers and the MEC Committee Chairperson. They will also coordinate as needed with their LEC President.
f. The MEC Mobilization Committee should meet within three (3) business days of the conclusion of a negotiations session. It is recommended that this be accomplished by electronic means
g. The MEC Chairperson shall:
(i). Take direction from the MEC President.
(ii). Coordinate the distribution of communication to the membership via the Local Mobilization Committee Chairpersons. The MEC Chair will collect membership feedback via the Local Committee Chairpersons and report back to the MEC President.
(iii). Ensure responsibilities of the Local Committee Chairpersons are being fulfilled.
(iv). Ensure continuity of information throughout the committee.
(v). Represent the MEC and advocate its message when acting in the committee role.
(vi). Coordinate mobilization activities as directed by the MEC including volunteer recruitment and organization, development and procurement of materials, necessary permitting, etc.
(vii). Be responsible for developing content and presentation materials for Negotiations Road Shows.
(viii). Distribute Road Show materials to each Local Mobilization Committee Chairperson.
(ix). Ensure that each Local Committee has the tools necessary to present a successful Negotiations Road Show
(x). Provide a weekly email report to the MEC President regarding activities of the committee and membership feedback
(xi). Manage the social media presence of the Negotiating Committee.
(A). Coordinate with the MEC President and Negotiating Committee to address feedback, comments, and concerns in a consistent and unified manner.
(B). Work with the MEC Communications Chairperson to administer all social media and online platforms
(xii). Compose informational and educational articles of interest to the membership and provide them to the MEC Communications Chairperson to be included in MEC communications and posted to the MEC website
- Extensive working knowledge of the current collective bargaining agreement.
- Working knowledge of negotiations procedures under the Railway Labor Act (RLA).
- Strong computer skills. Excellent working knowledge of Google Workspace and Microsoft Office.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to write communications, respond professionally to internal and external e-mail, prepare reports, and take meeting minutes.
- Ability to meet deadlines, delegate tasks to others as needed, and follow up on assigned tasks.
- Ability to participate in all required conference calls and video meetings.
- Ability to attend meetings and in-person activities as required, including occasionally being present in Seattle.
- Ability and willingness to plan, coordinate, participate in, and provide active leadership for solidarity action including picketing, leafleting, and canvassing.
- Ability to attend AFA International and other required training as needed.
- Received all CDC recommended COVID-19 vaccination doses or apply to AFA for and be granted a medical or religious exemption.
- Act on and follow through on directives as established in the AFA-CWA Constitution & Bylaws and AFA Alaska MEC Policy & Procedure Manual.
- Coordinate the sharing of information between the Negotiating Committee and the membership through the Local Mobilization Committee Chairpersons.
- Ensure responsibilities of the Local Committee Chairpersons are being fulfilled. In conjunction with the LEC Presidents, provide the Local Committee Chairpersons with the necessary support, resources, and tools to enable them to perform their duties.
- Develop a training program for new Mobilization Volunteers in coordination with other designated AFA representatives. Conduct training of new Mobilization Volunteers as needed by videoconference, in-person, or other platforms.
- Coordinate membership feedback collection on behalf of the Negotiating Committee. Manage online feedback collection tools, analyze information, compile feedback summaries, and report back to the MEC President.
- Administer, maintain, and update the Mobilization Committee hub intranet. Create and/or post content as directed.
- Coordinate mobilization activities as directed by the MEC including volunteer recruitment and organization, development and procurement of materials, necessary permitting, etc.
- Represent the MEC and advocate its message when acting in the committee role.
- Be responsible for developing content and presentation materials for Negotiations Road Shows. Distribute Road Show materials to each Local Mobilization Committee Chairperson and ensure that each Local Committee has the tools necessary to present a successful Negotiations Road Show.
- Provide a weekly email report to the MEC President regarding activities of the committee and membership feedback.
- Coordinate social media activities on behalf of the Negotiating Committee as directed. Work with the MEC President and Negotiating Committee to address feedback, comments, and concerns in a consistent and unified manner. Assist the MEC Communications Chairperson with the administration of all social media and online platforms as instructed.
- Compose informational and educational articles of interest to the membership and provide them to the MEC Communications Chairperson to be included in MEC communications and posted to the MEC website.
- Communicate regularly with the Local Mobilization Committee Chairpersons and MEC to provide status updates. Prepare and send a monthly committee report to the MEC.
Time Commitment and Flight Pay Loss Reimbursement
- This position is eligible for Flight Pay Loss (FPL) reimbursement by AFA. Union Business (UB) FPL is compensated at 0.75 TFP per hour when participating in pre-approved meetings or activities.
- Time commitment is variable depending on the work to be completed, but may range anywhere from 5 to 15 days per month. Workload will likely be higher when contract negotiations are in session and after a Tentative Agreement is reached. Some work can be accomplished remotely.
With The Mobilization Committee
Frequent interaction with the Local Mobilization Committee Chairpersons and Local Mobilization Volunteers.
With The Negotiating Committee
Regular interaction with the Negotiating Committee and AFA Staff Negotiator.
With The Master Executive Council
This position reports to the Master Executive Council. The MEC executive sponsor for the committee is the MEC President.
Expressing Interest and Interview Scheduling
The MEC will hold interviews during the April MEC meeting on Wednesday, April 13. Bid around the interview date or plan to arrange your schedule accordingly to accommodate.
Interested candidates should submit an expression of interest and resume online at https://forms.gle/tbXCWe4UqB5zbGxa7. The deadline for submissions is 5 PM Pacific time on Tuesday, April 5. After that time, an MEC representative will contact qualified candidates to schedule a specific interview time.
Please note that in order to submit an expression of interest, you must have a Google account. If you do not have a Google account, you can create one for free at https://accounts.google.com/signup.
If you have any questions about the position itself or any of the associated duties and responsibilities, please contact MEC President Jeffrey Peterson at email@example.com.
If you have any questions about the expression of interest form or interview process, please contact MEC Secretary-Treasurer Linda Christou at firstname.lastname@example.org.