- Our Mobilization Committee is continuing to grow as we gear up to begin contract negotiations later this year. As part of this growth, your LEC Officers are currently seeking candidates for the position of Local Mobilization Committee Chairperson.
- The Mobilization Committee works to provide support to the Negotiating Committee through coordinated solidarity activity and two-way communication between the membership and the committee. The Local Mobilization Committee Chairperson is responsible for facilitating committee activities and leading our dedicated Mobilization Volunteers at the base/domicile level.
- Be on the lookout for additional communications directly from your Local Council about the Local Mobilization Committee Chairperson position. If you’re ready to express interest, get in touch with your LEC Officers.
With the upcoming start of contract negotiations, your LEC Officers are currently seeking a Member in good standing to fill the position of Local Mobilization Committee Chairperson.
The Local Chairperson of the Mobilization Committee is responsible for executing planned activities to provide support to the Negotiating Committee through coordinated solidarity activity and two-way communication between the membership and the committee. They serve as the liaison between Local Mobilization Volunteers and the MEC Committee Chairperson, coordinating as needed with the LEC President.
- Extensive working knowledge of the current collective bargaining agreement.
- Working knowledge of negotiations procedures under the Railway Labor Act (RLA).
- Strong computer skills. Working knowledge of Google Workspace.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to write communications, respond professionally to internal and external e-mail, and prepare reports.
- Ability to meet deadlines, delegate tasks to others as needed, and follow up on assigned tasks.
- Ability to participate in all required conference calls and video meetings.
- Ability to attend meetings and in-person activities as required.
- Ability and willingness to plan, coordinate, participate in, and provide active leadership for solidarity action including picketing, leafleting, and canvassing.
- Ability to attend required training as needed.
- Act on and follow through on directives as established in the AFA-CWA Constitution & Bylaws and AFA Alaska MEC Policy & Procedure Manual.
- Coordinate the sharing of information between the Negotiating Committee and the membership through the MEC Mobilization Committee Chairperson. Promote the use of online feedback collection tools to ensure that feedback is reported promptly.
- With the MEC Mobilization Committee Chairperson, coordinate training for new Mobilization Volunteers as needed. Ensure that Mobilization Volunteers have necessary tools and resources to be successful.
- Regularly review the Mobilization Committee hub intranet for updates and information. Assist Mobilization Volunteers with accessing the hub and locating information.
- Coordinate mobilization activities as directed by the MEC Mobilization Committee Chairperson and/or LEC Officers including volunteer recruitment and organization, development and procurement of materials, necessary permitting, etc.
- Represent the MEC and LEC and advocate their message when acting in the committee role.
- Communicate regularly with the MEC Mobilization Committee Chairpersons and Local Mobilization Volunteers to provide status updates. Prepare and send a monthly committee report to the LEC Officers and MEC Mobilization Committee Chairperson.
- Perform all Mobilization Volunteer duties.
Time commitment is variable depending on the work to be completed, but may range anywhere from 4 to 20 hours per month. Workload will likely be higher following contract negotiations sessions and after a Tentative Agreement is reached. Some work can be accomplished remotely.
With The Mobilization Committee and Mobilization Volunteers
Frequent interaction with the MEC Mobilization Committee Chairperson, other Local Mobilization Committee Chairpersons, and Local Mobilization Volunteers.
With The Negotiating Committee
Occasional interaction with the Negotiating Committee and AFA Staff Negotiator during committee update calls.
With The Local Executive Council (LEC) Officers
This position reports to the LEC President and may coordinate with other LEC Officers as needed.
Each Local Council will communicate more specific information about the position and the selection timeline. If you would like to express interest, please follow the instructions from your Local Council or contact your LEC Officers.
If you have any questions about the position itself or any of the associated duties and responsibilities, please contact your LEC President.